Saturday, September 8, 2007

Wood, Hay, Stubble

Yesterday I mowed what's left of the lawn. A few patches of green amidst a sea of brown stubble. It looks like a farmer's hay field after it's been mowed and baled before winter. We've been in a severe drought with no appreciable rain in months. Coupled with record heat through August, it's taken it's toll.

I'm what you might call a lawn lunatic. I love to have a lush, green lawn. Forgive me, It's a pride thing. I get-off on having the best-looking lawn in the neighborhood. I aerate every fall and apply lime liberally. I seed and over-seed as needed. I fertilize as scheduled. And in between I typically fuss over it as if it is my youngest child. It's a lot of work. And expensive.
Now it looks like the surface of the moon out there. All my work has been burned-up by the scorching heat and drought conditions.

The Bible says that's what will happen to many of our accomplishments in life. They'll be tried by fire. If pride and arrogance has been our motivation those things will burn like wood, hay, and stubble. They won't last when placed before the bright glory and holy fire of the Lord. He's not only looking at the beauty of the works themselves, but for the purity of our hearts in doing them.

Check your works today, and the motivations behind them. Are they heat resistant?

No comments: