Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I AM Creative!

I used to think creativity belonged to a select few. Those "artsy" types who wore sandals and blue jeans and did everything in a "funky" kind of unexpected way. For them a simple annoucement became a Shakespearian experience. A sermon wasn't just God's Word expounded upon but a Hollowood production complete with backdrops and supporting actors.
Drama. Comedy. Tragedy. You never quite knew what they may say or do. After all, they were being "creative."
I never thought of myself as a creative type. I was more logical than all of that. In my mind, 2 + 2 = 4. That's a fact. Don't mess with it. But things have changed over the past few years. I've learned that I am creative! Not in the narrow way I once defined it. But I'm made in the image of God (Genesis 1:26-27). And God is a creator.

How does this new-found creativity work itself out in my life? Well, it's been there all along. Im just learning to recognize it. Preaching and teaching, and the preparation that goes into it is all a work of creation. Remodeling the kitchen, or painting a bathroom is creativity on display. Practicing the culinary arts to make new and bold dishes in the kitchen has become almost an obsession. Putting words on paper (or on this computer screen) fulfills an urge to create. I am creative!

Made in God's image, you're creative, too. Create something today.

No comments: