Friday, September 7, 2007

Discouraged? Nah!

Attendance was down at our worship service at the prison last night. I'm sure it was because the NFL kicked-off the season with a great match-up. Part of me wants to be discouraged and upset about it. Are we really that shallow? Is the work that God has me doing among the inmate population so tenuous that many can blow-off the sacred for the secular so easily? Am I making any difference at all? Is it worth it? It makes one wonder.

But then I think of the ones who came. I replay it all in my mind. Their worship was sincere and vibrant. When I got up to preach I sensed their hunger. I preached a simple word. "God is at work in our lives. He promises to carry out that work. (Philippians 1:6) Be patient. Trust Him!" (I'm not over-simplifying it here - that was pretty much it.)
Afterwards, a number of them came to me with words of gratitude. Some said it was just the word they needed to hear. I could see in their eyes that they are sincere. They love the Lord. Most have been to places in life that "good people" never see except on Lifetime movies.
But they come.

So I'm encouraged today. As I begin to prepare yet another message (Sunday morning is coming) I'm excited. I see God at work. And I trust Him!


No comments: