Sunday, September 16, 2007

In-Laws

We just arrived home from a five-day visit at Sharon's folks' farm in Minnesota.

Typically, thoughts of in-laws conjur a few horror stories and all of the in-law jokes you've ever heard. I'm so blessed. I've got the best in-laws on the planet. No kidding. They are wonderful, kind, and godly people. I've learned more about life from them over the years than I could have had I earned a doctorate.

I got to work on a few things alongside my father-in-law while we were there. Saturday I helped him to bale hay. He's 85 years old and still baling hay! It's incredible to work with him on anything - something I always look forward to. Years ago, when I was younger, I think I had too much to say and didn't listen enough. I didn't learn much. Today it's different. When I'm around him I'm all ears. There's so much wisdom there.

I think I enjoy working with him because I never got that with my own dad as an adult. He died when I was a kid. Whatever it is, I treasure it.

I hope I'm half-as-good at being a father-in-law as Sharon's dad is. Andrew?

2 comments:

Emily Burger said...

i'm sure you are a great father-in-law, but i do know you are an AMAZING dad. i love you.
Emily

dan said...

Tom,

I too often wonder what Dad would have to say. I take comfort in the success of our kids that he'd probably say we're doing pretty good but it would be nice to hear wouldn't it.
dan