Tuesday, August 21, 2007

My Kitchen, My Life (part 1)



I've been remodeling our kitchen for the past few months. It's a process. New countertops. Plumbing fixtures. Paint. Tile. Refinishing cabinets. The works. I really enjoy it. It's a pleasure to see the progress and to know that by my own hands I've re-made the room entirely. It really doesn't look anything like it did a few short months ago. But I'm ready for it to be finished now.

The work going on in our kitchen is very much like the work going on in my life. There's just so much to do. So many details that need attention. And it seems to take forever. Each part of the project adds to the finished product. Each part makes a difference. Each is important. Typically, between each there is a span of time where we stop the work and marvel at the beauty of what is happening. We "oohed" and "aahed" over the cabinets. We marveled at the raw elegance of the granite countertops. But after each step in the process - and after standing back to take in what we've done for just a few days - the work begins again. I'm ready for it to be finished now.

The Lord is remodeling my life. It's taking a long time. There's so much to do. Like us with our kitchen, He has a plan. And I think, like us, every now and then He steps back and marvels at the work that is being accomplished. And like us, I think He longs for the day when the work is finished. You see, that's the day that we'll stand before Him. We'll be home.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6

No comments: