Thursday, August 23, 2007

My Kitchen, My Life (part 2)

Still thinking about the work of remodeling our kitchen. It really does, in so many ways parallel what the Lord is doing in my life. It's a complete home makeover.

Here's what strikes me today about such a comparison. If it's the Lord doing this great work of change in my life, what does that make me? If He's the craftsman, the master builder, what am I? And the answer that comes to me is this: I'm the totally incompetent, bumbling helper; the guy who breaks things, and drops things, and ends up in the way most of the time. The guy who is usually causing more work by his clumsiness.
If He is Michelangelo, I'm a four year old with a box of crayons. If He's Frank Lloyd Wright, I'm a kid with his first set of building blocks. I'm the Three Stooges - Curly, Larry and Moe all wrapped into one.

So often, rather than be a contributor to the wonderful work that He is doing in my life, I seem to be getting in the way of what the Lord is trying to do. As He works to create in me what He desires, I can't even seem to hold the ruler without messing it up. Yet He is a patient, loving craftsman. He continues the work in spite of me. And when I spill the paint, or drive the nail crooked, He patiently says to me, "No son, not like that. Here, let Me help."
The work goes on.

No comments: