Friday, August 24, 2007

My Kitchen, My Life (part 3)

Suppose that, while my kitchen is in the midst of a complete renovation, I show up univited at your house with tools and materials in hand. When you inquire as to what I'm doing I say, "I thought I'd come by and remodel your kitchen. The last time I was here I noticed that it needed some work. Your cabinets are outdated, the plumbing fixtures aren't what they ought to be, and the paint color is aweful. Just thought I'd come by and fix it for you."

Rediculous, huh? But isn't that what we do to one another? While our own lives are a virtual construction zone we spend our time and efforts trying to fix someone else's life. While the Lord is doing a great, but far from complete work in our own lives, we intrude into the lives of others bent on seeing change. When will we realize it's not our job to renovate our neighbor's kitchen? When will we decide that the same Master Builder that is working in our own kitchen can handle our friends' kitchens as well?

I'll tell you what I've decided to do. When I come by your house, I'll come as your friend, and not your contractor. Rather than look for all the things that need work in your kitchen, I'll just sit at the table and enjoy your company over a cup of coffee. I'll leave the paint, and the tile, the cabinets and the countertops to you and the Lord. He's much better at all of that than I am anyhow. And I'm sure you'll be much happier with the results.

"... first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

Today I'm back to sanding cabinet doors. Come on by, I'll put a fresh pot of coffee on.

No comments: