Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"Burger Skip Day"

I'm playing hooky today. Our niece, Jayme, has come in to town for a visit so I'm taking the day to just hang-out with her. We're going to check out the new US Whitewater Center here in Charlotte.

Playing hooky is a healthy thing every now and again. It keeps you from taking yourself quite so seriously. I've learned that the world does not depend on me showing up. Things run very smoothly without me. (Actually, they run better without me sometimes, proving how unnecessary I am to most.)

When our girls were young we used to take a "Burger skip day" every now and again. No work. No school. Just fun for the whole family. Many get a bit bent out of shape over such an idea. "Skip work? Let the kids skip school? How irresponsible," they say. Here's the way it is: I'm not that important. And the kids were never seriously harmed by missing a day. In fact, they don't remember much at all about those endless school days, but they'll never forget those precious "skip days". Try it sometime.

1 comment:

momofthreegirls said...

What great memories! Burger skip day. The best day of the year.