Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Stand Still

"And Moses said unto the people, "Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will show you today ..."
~Exodus 14:13

With an army bent of their total annihilation charging after them and a sea stretching before them, Moses told the people of Israel to stand still. While it doesn't seem they had any alternative, I'm sure many among them were trying hard to come up with one.

Stand still? Not my natural tendency. Fight. Swim. Run. Complain. Do something! Yet to do anything other than stand still is to miss the salvation of the Lord on full display.

I guess I'm still thinking about the disciples of the Lord in the garden at His arrest. (See my previous post) They started to fight. Then they ran. But what was occurring right in front of them was their means to God's salvation. The salvation of the Lord was unfolding in their very midst. But in that few moments their reactions carried them from one extreme to the other.
Standing still - no fighting - no running - doing nothing - seems to me to be the middle of those extremes.

No comments: