Monday, December 3, 2007

The Urgency of the Advent Season

What an incredible time of year we've entered into. Advent. A time of waiting. An air of expectancy. You can sense the wonderment and excitement almost everywhere you go. I love this time of year as I look forward to celebrating this Messiah who came in a most unexpected way. I'm still amazed at the way God chose to send His Redeemer into the world to save us from our sins. A baby boy born to poor people in an obscure middle eastern village and revealed to lowly shepherds.

But I have a challenge at this time of year as well. One of the most difficult things I'm called upon to do as a prison chaplain is to somehow engage the inmate population at this time of year. Imagine being locked-up for Christmas. Away from family and loved ones. Stuck in the mundane prison routine that never changes. Not even to honor the Savior.
I feel an urgency in my soul at this time of year. I want my preaching to ignite that expectancy and excitement in someone's life. I want the message of Messiah - the One who came to save the least, the lowest, and the lost - to become more real for those I minister to than it's ever been before. Much like the people of Israel, we've stumbled around in the dark our whole lives. We've stubbed out toes and run into walls. We've made wrong turns and fallen down more times that most of us care to admit.
I think the very best thing you can give to someone stuck in darkness is Light.

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned.
~ Isaiah 9:2

No comments: