Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Following in His Father's Footsteps

An inmate came to my office last night to introduce himself to me. He said, "Chaplain, my dad told me to be sure and meet you. He said you would help me while I'm here and I should get to know you." Wondering if this young man was being real or just "running game" to try to get something from me, (chaplains deal with such manipulative games daily,) I asked, "Who's your dad?"
As soon as he told me who his dad was it struck me: I should have known. He looks exactly like his dad. He's taller, but has the same facial features. Same smile. He even sounds like him. This young man's dad was an inmate here for nearly three years and was released from prison earlier this year. I know his dad well. I baptized his dad and watched the Lord transform his life.
As we chatted, I asked how his dad was doing. His response was encouraging. He said, "My dad ain't the same man anymore. He's changed so much. It's amazing." That blessed me. Then it was count time; time for him to go.

After he left to go back to the block, I sat in the quiet and thought about him, and his dad, and the insanity of the whole thing. A father's life wasted in and out of prison. A son following in his footsteps. It was a bit depressing as I thought about the futility of such lives.
Then I remembered that smile that I'd seen so often over the past few years as we studied the Scriptures and prayed and worshiped together. Surely if He's done it in the life of the father, He'll do it in the life of the son, too.
The work goes on.

1 comment:

momofthreegirls said...

Inspiring thought. God can work through any situation any place. He goes to great lengths to touch our lives and set us free!