Monday, November 12, 2007

When Two Out of Three Isn't Good Enough

"... But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger;
~ James 1:19

In almost everything in life two out of three is more than acceptable. In fact, two thirds is considered to be pretty good in most endeavors. A baseball player who gets a hit two out of every three at bats is hall of fame bound.
But in James' admonition, two out of three just isn't good enough. Being quick to hear does us no good if we're not slow to speak and slow to anger at the same time. Being slow to speak is of no benefit if we refuse to hear. And being slow to anger while talking too much and not listening might be considered by some just blissful ignorance.

James 1:19 has been my struggle for many years. It seems like even as I find progress in one area, I'm still struggling with another. While I'm learning to listen, I still have too much to say. And when I make a concerted effort to keep my mouth shut, too often I find anger boiling up on the inside.
Maybe it all comes together with age and experience, or maybe its just all learned behavior. As I get older, I do think I'm making progress. But I'll not be satisfied with two out of three.

No comments: