Thursday, November 29, 2007

'Church Light' Doesn't Work

Let me finish my rant from yesterday concerning the 'seeker friendly' and 'emerging church' movements. What's important, according to Jesus' repeated admonitions in the gospels, is the making of disciples. It's not just drawing a crowd. Now there is hard evidence that 'church light' ain't working to further the making of disciples in the Kingdom of God.
Willow Creek Community Church, the grandaddy of the 'seeker sensitive' movement, has admitted in a very forthright assessment of their congregation that they have failed the disciple-making test. While they've had sky rocketing attendance and lots of involvement in church programs for years, many who count themselves members of Willow Creek find themselves stunted in their spiritual growth, lagging in their walk with Christ, and increasingly frustrated with a church that lacks depth in it's teaching and preaching. In fact, one fourth of all adults in this mega-church said they were seriously dissatified and considering leaving the church.

I guess the message here ought to be clear enough: There is no revolutionary new, or easy way to make a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ. Theology and doctrine are critical. And taking up a cross, and denying one's self are part of the equation as well. The Apostle Paul wrote to the Galatian Church the following (Galatians 2:20):
"I have been crucified with Christ; and it's no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered Himself up for me."

Somehow I doubt this verse gets discussed much around the cappucino maker in the lobby of 'church light'.

No comments: