Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Conductor

Last night Sharon and I attended the Charlotte Symphony concert with special guest Natalie Cole. Incredible! I was captivated by it all.The music was spot-on. Natalie Cole sang with such elegance and grace. Truly spectacular!
But every now and again during the concert I found myself watching the conductor. As the music played I watched his motions. I couldn't quite put the two together. He swayed and swaggered and swung his arms. Sometimes it seemed as if his motions made no sense. He swayed one way and it seemed the music went another. But somehow, it worked. Even though I couldn't figure it out, his every motion had meaning. And through those motions he orchestrated a flawless performance.
Then I realized its that way with God. He orchestrates all things. He gives direction and conducts all activity. And most of the time it doesn't make much sense to me. He directs and guides - sometimes in great sweeping events and other times with gentle nudges. But somehow it works. Somehow it all works together for my good and His glory.

I realized something else as well. Whether it's a symphony concert or God's orchestration of life itself, I'm not always meant to understand what the Conductor is doing. I'm to enjoy the beauty which results from His direction.

No comments: