Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Jesus Style

Do you have a favorite book? One that grabbed you and shook you and ultimately changed the way you live life? (Okay. Besides the Bible.)

Somewhere around the same time I began my ministry at Charlotte Correctional Center, I read a book called The Jesus Style by Gayle Erwin. That book had a profound effect on me. In fact, it helped to shaped the way I do ministry. I've reread it a few times in the years since.
I've also recommended the book to many others over the years, lent my copy to more than a few, and even once began facilitating a class at church based on its content. (We never finished the class. It was interrupted by the events of 9-11.)

The book is, at its core all about servanthood. Jesus came "not to be served, but to serve." He came in such a way as to be accessible to all people. There was nothing intimidating or threatening about Him. He was totally 'others-centered'. These are characteristics very unlike the way we operate today. Even in ministry we often manipulate others to get them to do what we want or to respond the way we want them to. We're very often 'me-centered'.

Well, I've decided its time for a refresher of The Jesus Style in my life and in my ministry. It's time to shake-off complacency, and wrong expectations, and manipulative game playing. It's time to get back to really stretching myself to be living in the style of Christ - unselfish, unintimidating, and accesible to others.
It's time.

PS: The Jesus Style is currently out of print. You can probably find a few copies through Amazon if you're interested.

No comments: