Thursday, February 19, 2009

Is It Really That Easy, Paul?

"Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus."
~ Romans 6:11

Our home Bible study group now knows somewhat the despair this verse has brought me over the years. I have struggled with these words for about nine years. It's not that I don't believe them to be true. I do.

We've been studying Romans together and last evening we were in Romans 6 when I shared my frustration. If the power of sin has been broken (and it has - see Romans 6:1-10), why do I struggle to do what this verse so clearly tells me to do? Why do I have such a hard time considering myself to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus?
Is it as easy as the Apostle Paul here makes it seem?

After a lively discussion (I hope I didn't hurt any feelings) my struggle continues. I really do believe I'm dead to sin. (After all, that's what the Scriptures say. That's what Romans 6 is all about.)
But it seems I keep returning to the carcass.

No comments: