Monday, October 6, 2008

The Foreverness of Vows

Yesterday I had the privilege of performing the wedding ceremony of some very dear friends. I never want any wedding I'm asked to be part of to be "just another ceremony." I want it to be a worship service where Jesus is exalted and glorified. And I always want to be certain everyone understands exactly what is taking place. So I always introduce the vows with these words:

"It is very important that you understand the seriousness of what you are about to do. We live in a day when vows have lost the sacredness and significance that they once had. But I assure you God has not changed. God takes our vows very seriously, and we will be held accountable before Him for the way in which we follow through in honoring them. Your vows will be recorded in heaven forever, never to be erased.Let them be the same in each of your hearts today"

Later at the reception, someone said something to me that got me thinking. He said, "My wife and I have only been married since January. But the things you said reminded me of the vows that we took before God. I needed that reminder. And I think it would do everyone well to attend a wedding every few months to be reminded as well."

While I'm certainly not going to advocate attending too many weddings (It's a guy-thing) I do think we need to be reminded from time to time of the seriousness of our vows. God does hear our words. And the words that we speak, and the vows that we vow are indeed recorded in heaven. What we seem to take so lightly, or sometimes even forget completely, is a big deal to God.

Vows are permanent. They are a sacred promise that God expects us to honor.

"For You have heard my vows, O God; You have given me the inheritance of those who fear You name."
~ Psalm 61:5

No comments: