Thursday, October 2, 2008

Almost

Almost. To me, that is the saddest word in the English language. Almost. Not quite. Nearly. Kind of. But not really. Just almost. Getting close, but not quite achieving.

The rich, young ruler who ran to Jesus in Mark 10 lived a life of 'almost.' He wanted to know how to have eternal life. He'd done alright according to the Law. But Jesus said to him, "One thing you lack, ..." Just one thing. "You've 'almost got it, young man. You're 'almost' there. But not quite."

Rather than a life of almost, I want a life of reckless abandon. I want to pursue after the Lord like a deer panting after a water brook. I don't want 'not quite' on my resume. I'm not interested in anything that just gets close. I won't settle for 'almost' in my life.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Hmmm.... maybe I'm thankful we don't have any $$$ to compete with the best prize!