Monday, May 5, 2008

Where Has the Glory Gone?

For the past week or so, I've made Mother's Day cards available to the inmates in the chaplain's office as we've done for many years. There has been an almost constant stream of inmates at my door to get them.
With an inmate population of two hundred sixty, I purchased five hundred Mother's Day cards. I am just about to run out.

Conversely, when Father's Day rolls around next month, we won't be able to give away Father's Day cards. Thirty or forty cards will be quite sufficient. It's been this way for years.

What does this say about our society?

The Bible says that "... the glory of children is their fathers." (Proverbs 17:6.) We've lost our glory.

1 comment:

AnneDroid said...

That would be true in UK jails too. I've not done it yet but my colleague found the same in a Young Offenders Institution wehre he worked previously.

What it says to me is that all too many prisoners either never knew their dad or else had really bad dads whom they want nothing to do with. If I say that out loud in certain circles people may say I'm getting at single mums, which I'm not. I feel for them. But I also feel that the evidence is there that good dads are a Very Good Thing and the absence of a good dad can screw up a life to the point of a jail sentence.