Tuesday, May 13, 2008

God in a Tool Belt

Over the past few weeks we have undertaken a rather large home repair project. We've been in our home over just fifteen years. The thing that sold me on this particular house when we were looking was a very large patio in the back shaded by large trees. It's 20' x 36' and made of brick pavers. It's really a beautiful place. When I first saw it, I pictured myself sitting out there enjoying a good book or good company. It's been all that and more.

But we've noticed something happening to our beautiful patio over the past few years. Slowly, almost imperceptibly, part of the patio had begun to sink. In fact, one whole side had sunk nearly three inches. In other areas tree roots had begun to push up under the brick pavers, causing them to buckle.
As I looked out over the patio in early Spring, I knew we had a major renovation on our hands. We began a few weeks ago by taking up all of the pavers (literally hundreds of them) that made up a portion of the patio. It was hot, dirty work. Then we replaced some of the wood framing that surrounds the pavers. We dug and cut and chopped to rid ourselves of all the troublesome tree roots. Sand was brought in to bring everything back up to level. Twelve hundred pounds of sand! Finally, we carefully laid the brick pavers back in place one-by-one, being careful to lay each one level with those around it. We finally finished it this past weekend. And it's back to being the beautiful place that I fell in love with when I first saw it.

I've been wondering: How much like my patio is my life? Are there some areas that are imperceptibly sinking - things that may be getting out of level as the years pass? Are there some roots - things like anger, bitterness and resentment - that have worked their way in causing parts of my life to buckle? I know there are some areas that need some work.

In Amos 7, the prophet saw a vision of the Lord with a plumb line in His hand. He said, "Behold, I will test my people with this plumb line." (Amos 7:8 NLT) A plumb line is used to check for accuracy. It indicates if things are square and level.
Can you picture God as a workman in a tool belt and muddy boots, checking our lives to see how we square-up to His standard? Because that's exactly what He does. And much of this life - the trials and tribulations we go through - is simply God as a workman renovating our lives to make us a beautiful habitation for Himself.

No comments: