Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Why Am I ...?

I seem to be in that place of asking a lot of questions over the past few weeks.

This morning as I was praying, I asked the Lord this question: Lord, why am I so N-U-T-S about everything? Seriously, why am I so freaking intense about everything - I mean everything - that goes on? Check it out:
  • Politics. The primaries. Super Tuesday. Republican. Democrat. Liberals versus conservatives. Who's saying what? Who's winning delegates? I wake up thinking about that stuff. I follow it with such intensity you'd think I was the one running.
  • Sports. If you've ever watched a game with me, you know. Ask my wife and daughters. Football. Hockey. I can't sit still. I act like my teams need me to pull out a victory. I can't just sit and watch passively. No, I've got to fuss and holler. By the time any game I watch ends, I'm emotionally spent.
  • Chrisitanity. Doctrine. Preaching. Teaching. I can't just deliver a message or teach a lesson. I seem to be consumed by it.

You name it, and if I've ever had even a fleeting thought about it, I've probably invested my soul into it to the point of almost losing my sanity. I struggle to cook a "normal" meal - in my mind, it's got to be something outrageous, something extraordinary. Conversation is difficult because my intensity level seems to rise to unnatural (and unhealthy) levels.

Why am I this way? Did God wire me this way when He knit me together in my mother's womb? Or did I fall on my head when I was little, causing irrepairable damage that makes me this way? Should I be seeking to change? To mellow-out as I get older?

I don't know why I am the way I am. But maybe it's a good sign that I am now asking the Lord why I'm like this. I don't know. What I do know is this: My wife and daughters deserve some kind of extra reward in eternity. Thanks, girls, for all the years of rolling your eyes and stifling a laugh, and saying, "That's just our dad" rather than running away.

3 comments:

momofthreegirls said...

Your welcome. You can drive a person nutty but I also love that passion about you!

dthomas96 said...

you must be my long lost relative. i tend towards insanity with my intensive analyzing as well.

i linked to your blog a few months ago through Incarnation. it is assuring to know that there are men of God out there, who are real folks and don't mind people realizing it. your two blogs have inspired me in ways that can only be from the Lord. thank you.

now i must try and go to sleep... though LOST has my mind spinning about human motivation and character and intention and etc.

dt
http://dthomas96.wordpress.com

Sheila said...

haha, we forgive you!