Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Grace for All-Time

I was channel surfing the other day (as I am wont to do) when I came across a Bible teacher. I stopped momentarily when I heard him say, "Of course, we know that the concept of grace was ushered in with the New Testament," intimating that, prior to the New Testament, there simply is no grace found anywhere.
Pastor Benny and his flock "oohed" and "aahed" at such profound-sounding teaching. I thought to myself, "Well, that's certainly profound alright. Profoundly W-R-O-N-G!" It's been bugging me ever since.

Grace only in the New Testament? Wouldn't that mean that the unchangeable God changed? To see grace as a purely New Testament concept would mean that the Incarnation of Christ was for God a reversal of His previous work rather than a culmination. I just don't see it.

Instead, I see God's grace on display throughout the Old Testament.

  • Noah knew God's grace. When the Lord saw the wickedness of mankind and said,"I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth," the very next verse says, "But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord." (Genesis 6:8)
  • God graciously made a covenant with Abraham, rooted in faith and premised solely on God's grace. "I will make you a great nation and I will bless you ..." (Genesis 12:2)
  • God Himself proclaimed Himself gracious as He allowed His glory to pass by as Moses stood on Mt. Sinai. (Exodus 34:6)
  • The blessing the Lord commanded Aaron to speak over the children of Israel (Numbers 6:24-26) extols the grace of God: "The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face to shine upon you, And be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you; and give you peace."
  • Jonah knew God's grace. He complained bitterly of God's grace when God spared Nineveh. "I knew that Thou art a gracious and compassionate God, ..." (Jonah 4:2)
  • Psalm 84:11 says: The Lord gives grace and glory, ...

Obviously, the grace of God is prevalent throughout the Scriptures. What is different in the New Testament is simply this: Jesus Christ is the embodiment of His grace. What was for centuries a theologically "Is He or Isn't He" kind of characteristic of the unseen God became tangible in the Person of Christ. "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."

Whether Noah in an age of wickedness, or Moses on a mountain staring at His glory. Whether an old man named Abraham contending with old age, or the Apostle Paul contending in ministry. Whether you in your struggles or me with my issues. Old Testament or New. He is the same. And His grace really is sufficient for us all.

1 comment:

Steve Wright said...

Now that my friend is some good preaching. Grace in the Old Testament! You better know that is true. Amen!!!!