Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Faith

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."
Proverbs 3:5-6

This verse of Scripture, which most of us can quote, is far from passive. Yet, very often, our interpretation is just that: Passive. Too often, we talk about trusting God with a sense of resignation. It's as if trusting God is like buying lottery tickets. A risky gambit.

But this verse of Scripture, along with the entire Bible, advocates an active trust in God. Obedience and striving and believing and acting on what God's Word says are all part of "Trust in the Lord with all your heart ..."

It's like exercise. (I'm only guessing here. I'm not a big fitness geek.) Wishing and hoping, and even hanging around the fitness equipment doesn't help me get in shape or lose weight. Only when I actively engage in an exercise regimen can I expect the desired result. And only when I actively engage in what thus sayeth the Lord can I expect to see Him truly directing my paths.

When I'm actively trusting Him and He's directing my paths, I'm usually amazed at where I end up.

1 comment:

momofthreegirls said...

I love this post. How very true it is.