Monday, December 29, 2008

"Well, It's Happened Again. And I Wasn't Ready Again."

This was just a few weeks ago:

"I'd like to ask your permission to ask your daughter to marry me."

Unless you've heard those words come from the mouth of a young man sitting across the table from you, you'll never know the mix of thoughts and emotions that swirl around you. Part of you is thrilled because you believe that this is the young man the Lord has for your daughter. Another part of you wants to reach across the table and choke this clown. Who does he think he is? How dare he even think he's good enough for your little girl.

Then, the phone call I knew would be coming:

"Daddy, I'm engaged! I'm getting married!"

I've already been through this once with Sheila. Now, it's Alisha's turn. You'd think by this time I'd have it all together. No big deal, right? This ought to be old hat to me. But it's not. It's not any easier to hear your second little girl say those words than it was with your first just a few years ago. The memories of their whole lives run through your mind in the fleeting moment those words hit your ear and run through your brain. "I'm getting married!" And just like that, you know that things will never be the same.

Now, the planning begins. A June wedding. In just a few days time, I've been reduced to the old guy with the checkbook. But I really am happy. I'm happy to see my baby girl so happy.

Congratulations Alisha and what's-his-name. I pray your life together is everything you've dreamed of.

3 comments:

AnneDroid said...

That made me laugh. We have three daughters so this could be ahead of us too, in due course.

Congratulations to the happy couple.

alisha said...

Dad, I love this blog...and you, very much. -Alisha

liz said...

we’re thrilled that the first what’s-his-name will have the second what’s-his-name as his first what’s-his-name brother-in-law
M&L