Wednesday, September 17, 2008

In Pretense or In Truth, Christ is Proclaimed

"Some, to be sure, are preaching Christ even from envy and strife, but some also from good will; the latter do it out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel; the former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, rather than from pure motives, thinking to cause me distress in my imprisonment.
What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice, yes, and I will rejoice."
~ Philippians 1:15-18

In our home Bible study group, we're studying the Epistle to the Philippian church. Last week we spent some time thinking about these verses. Since then, the Lord has been bringing them back to my mind and I've been thinking about how to apply them in my own life and ministry. Let me explain.

There is a local pastor who's church and ministry has grown to be quite successful. When I first started as the chaplain at Charlotte Correctional Center nearly twelve years ago, he was one of the few local ministers involved at the prison. I knew almost from day one that he didn't like me. I'm not sure why. I think part of it was just my being there as chaplain. He liked to think of himself in that role. Whatever the reason, I appreciated his ministry and made the best of the situation.
After a few years, and with the growth of his church, he moved on from ministry at the prison. That should have been the end of it. I thought we were on okay terms.

Then I heard from some former inmates who attend his church regularly that he had said some rather unflattering things about me from the pulpit. In fact, he once called me "That white devil over there at that prison." (Yes, he is a black pastor.)
I tried not to let that bother me. I even found it kind of funny and made a joke of it.

But then, very recently, I was told that this pastor has refused to have anything to do with a particular former inmate because he was saved under my ministry and baptized by me and remains to this day a very dear friend of mine.

So, what am I supposed to do? I know what I want to do. (Think "laying on of hands" here.) But God's been reminding me of what His Word teaches me to do. (Don't you hate it when He does that?)
It's taken me a few days, but with Paul, I'm rejoicing today. I'm glad this pastor's church is growing. God bless him. I pray that God will continue to bless his ministry and use him mightily.

1 comment:

AnneDroid said...

Poor old you. What a horrible situation. I feel for you. Since you are seeking to react with grace, I trust God will vindicate you.

I know of a prison in this country (thankfully not "mine") where the chaplains don't get on. The prisoners know it. The staff know it. It's really really sad. Lack of unity is SO harmful. Our witness as chaplains is shot to bits if we don't be seen to love each other. We'd do more good if we gave up and went home than stayed and were mutually spiteful.