Thursday, August 28, 2008

Have You Heard There's An Election?

Many Christians seem to be struggling with the candidates the major political parties have put forth for the highest office in the land this year. I've wondered myself. Neither seems to appeal strongly to our values. While they both call themselves Christian, many Christians are left wondering which one will stand on a platform that makes us say "That's my candidate. He thinks like I think." I've given this some thought (and prayer) and here are a few conclusions:

  1. As Christians, we should have far different priorities than others. While they're talking about the economy and jobs and taxes and the candidates' positions on popular issues, we should be looking for the candidate who stands closest to our own values on the issues of life and godliness. Who tells the truth? Who takes unpopular stands because its the right thing to do? Who will stand against the taking of the innocent lives of millions of unborn children? Who will uphold the foundational institution of marriage? These are the kinds of issues God will judge this nation upon.
  2. We're electing a commander-in-chief, not a preacher-in-chief. In Old Testament Israel, which is as close to a God-ordained form of governance as I know of, there was a king and there were priests. The king was never expected to do the work of the priests. In fact, King Saul tried it and God renounced him as king. The role of the priests was religious leadership and the king was charged with moral and ethical civil governance. People didn't look to the king for spiritual leadership and they didn't look to the priests for civil authority.
  3. Rather than looking for the "christian" candidate to lead us, maybe Christians should step into the role of priest the Bible ascribes to us. Are we not a "royal priesthood"? We ought to stop looking to them for any kind of spiritual leadership. Do we really want a politician - any politician - coming to office as the leader of the faith? To me, that idea seems to cheapen faith in the Lord Jesus Christ to a political ideology.

So I'm not watching any conventions or listening to any stump speeches this fall. They won't be talking about the issues that matter to me anyhow. I'm not getting worked-up over this stuff anymore. I'm a preacher, I've got more important things to do with my time. I'll simply pray and ask the Lord to guide me as I choose the one who will guide this nation in a moral path.

No comments: